September 8, 2011

Out With the Old, In With the New

In order to explain better where I am now, I want to write about the first part of my landscaping/gardening project. In the summer of 2007, I decided I had had enough of the ugly side yard with the constant supply of weeds. I wish I had a "before" shot of the stone walls. They went all the way across, with no stairs or easy access to the lower tiers. I wanted something that looked decent, was easy to put together myself, and had stairs. (Actually, the stairs were an afterthought - I originally wanted to put in a ramp. Ha! Stairs are actually easier.)

The stone walls were massive. It took a few months of working during my daughter's naptime, driving a sledgehammer to break up the rocks, wheeling them over and dumping them down the back yard hill. Then, one 63-pound brick at a time, I built the rampart walls. Yes it was hard work. But it was also fulfilling work because I had something nice to show for it.

That is the story of how I ended up with a ton (or more) of giant rocks strewn about the back hill, where I am working now. I will continue the story of the side yard in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment